Friday, January 14, 2011

Down the Rabbit Hole

...is the working title of my new story. Hi everyone! I haven't posted for ages because, well, after NaNo I really didn't have much writing mojo left in me. But today on the way home I just had a sort of lightbulb moment, and now I have a new project in the works.

Down the Rabbit Hole is going to be based on Alice in Wonderland. It will star a pair of twins at University, one of which knows about Wonderland and goes back there on the first day of spring, when the rabbit hole opens, and the other of which doesn't believe any of it but still needs to go down the rabbit hole to find her sister. I've never successfully written fantasy before, because if you give me a world where anything can happen, I'll generally make it explode into a molten pile of stupid. But I think I'll have more success with this one, since I'm working with a reference.

I'm doing my usual thing of starting a story with only very vague ideas as to how the plot will work out and what characters and settings will turn up, but I think my version of Wonderland will come out quite Tim Burton-esque. A few years ago, I made a sketch for a poster entitled 'Zombies invaded Wonderland - The Looking-Glass has Closed, Alice'. I may need to revisit that at some point, although I don't want Rabbit Hole to have zombies in it. When I read it as a kid, I never really noticed how extensive the weirdness of Wonderland really was (go figure), but now I realise that there are some pretty deep depths of strangeness to be plumbed.

I think this is going to be fun.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds fun and excellent. :) Just this post is making me want to try reading Alice in Wonderland again... Be sure to keep us posted on how it goes, okay? Good luck!

    ReplyDelete