Wednesday, September 1, 2010

A Strategy Rethink

Since I got back from holiday, I haven't posted anything because nothing has really been happening with me writing-wise. Today I finally worked out what the problem was, and I think I've found a solution.

The way I see it, writing a story can start in basically two ways: conscious planning or accidental inspiration. My writing nearly always begins in the second way, mainly because most of my stories are based on the ones I used to make up for myself when I was little, to help myself sleep. Who am I kidding, I still do that. A lot. So, my stories start verbally and then if I decide they are good enough then they are typed up onto the computer.

And this is the problem: because telling stories verbally is quicker than typing, I'm always ahead of myself when I start to actually write a story and I then get bored and impatient to get to the really good bits. And then I end up getting tired of the whole thing, leaving off writing it out and just finishing it verbally. This has happened with the story I'm currently writing, working title Contact 2010, and so I've decided to give it a rest and try a new approach.

Today I went into Paperchase and bought a nice new notebook. Then I went onto Seventh Sanctum (what an amazing website) and generated prompts until I got one that caught my imagination. I have written this prompt out across the top of the first page in my notebook, and instead of telling a story to myself verbally to help myself sleep tonight, I will use this prompt and actually start writing a story with pen and paper, something I haven't done for years and years. I really hope that this change of pace will help improve my ability to actually finish stories for a change.

Also, you may have noticed that my new strategy basically combines PandaLark's tip about Seventh Sanctum with Nephilim's dirty notes idea. This is not a coincidence: thank you so much guys, for giving my writing technique a breath of fresh air.

1 comment:

  1. Yay, Tangy (can I call you that?)! I'm so happy I helped to inspire you, or whatever you would like to call it. Best of luck with your new writing strategy, okay? 8D

    ReplyDelete